Thursday, January 15, 2009
16 things about me that you don't know
1. I was born in a hut in Taiwan.
2. I tried to be a breech (feet-first) birth, starting a pattern of always jumping feet-first into everything.
3. In the first six years of my life I lived in five different countries.
4. I had an amah who had bound feet.
5. I have, at various times in my life, spoken fluent pidgin English, Chinese, Cambodian, and English. Now I only speak fluent English. But I do speak that very well!
6. I went to middle school at the school that Sasha and Melia Obama now attend.
7. There was a girl there in my year, who got a new mink coat every Christmas. Really.
8. I am (at least) 5% Native American (my mother had a DNA test).
9. My great great grandfather was the chief of the Eastern Cherokee. Oddly, he was also 100% Caucasian (both his parents emigrated from England). So great great great granny, anything you want to tell us?
10.He ended his life in an insane asylum refusing to speak anything but Cherokee.
11.Charles Frasier wrote a crappy novel about him in which he didn’t end up in an insane asylum (which I think is one of the most interesting things about him).
12.I plan to write a (nonfiction) book about his life. We WILL go all the way to the nuthouse!
Likes and dislikes
13.I have eaten sea slug, snake, and river eel (among other weird things).
14.The only foods I will not eat are liver and canned lima beans.
15.I think ballet is boring.
16.The compliment I received that has given me the most intense pleasure and pride was when the captain of a snorkeling tour boat told me I swim like a mermaid. I truly wish I could be a mermaid.