Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pledge to speak out against bias

I read in this morning's paper that "A majority of U.S. citizens support equal treatment for gay people," and I thought, 'Alright America! We're on the right track!' Then I read that it's only 56% of Americans, which means that 44% are still in the soul-darkness of fear and bigotry. Oh well, at least it's a majority..... Anyway, here's a link to the Straight For Equality website:

Straightforequality

You can pledge to challenge anti-gay sentiments and download a guide to help you do so. I'm pledging!

4 comments:

BigAssBelle said...

"a majority" ~ ought to be more than 56%. that seems shocking, though i am also pleased that at last a "majority" are convinced that we are all equally human. geeeze, how hard is it? i just don't understand.

Anonymous said...

I signed the pledge! As a straight woman who was raised in a liberal household in San Diego, I never understood all of the prejudices until I got into the real world. It makes me very sad that people are so close-minded...

Elizabeth said...

Belle: yes, only an itty bitty technical majority. But I guess that's a start anyway....

Katie: Wonderful. I've been thinking about it all day and remembering so many situations in my life where I was so blindsided and dumbfounded by someone's predudiced comments that I could only stammer out something fairly lame. So I'm excited to look at their suggestions for responses so I can have ready words to turn to next time.

Ah, California. Lived there (Northern) for 15 years and miss it profoundly. Went to San Diego many times with the man I now refer to as "the Lying Cheating Scumbag." San Diego was nice though!

more cowbell said...

It's great that they've formed this to encourage folks to take that step toward being allies. Nice that it'd done by PFLAG. Maybe it can have some effect on that 44%.