Jason tagged me, which is a relief because it's hard to know what to write after an account of your grandfather's tragic suicide.
1. Respond and rework. Answer the questions on your blog, replace one question you dislike with a question of your own invention; add a question of your own.
2. Tag eight other un-tagged people.
So here goes!
1. What is your current obsession?
I am a woman of multiple and simultaneous obsessions (to the point of mental sluttiness!). So:
The book on suicide I want to write.
The YA fantasy novel I've written.
The children's book I'm working on illustrating.
Finding the silliest images I can for flickr, eg:
2. What do you see outside your window?
A gigantic (about 10' x 10'), thorny, decades-old, and utterly magnificent rose bush just beginning to bloom.
3. If you could have any super power what would it be?
Breathing under water.
4. Which animal would you be?
5. Who was the last person you hugged?
My oldest daughter.
6.What is your favorite color?
7. What’s your favorite food in the whole world?
A perfectly ripe mango.
8. What’s the last thing you bought?
The cutest French-made shoes (Mephistos) at my favorite thrift! These are shoes that cost hundreds of dollars new! Yay!
9. What are you listening to right now?
Literally, at this moment I'm watching American Idol with my ten-year old and listening to Adam Lambert screech his way through a song. What's the deal ? I just don't get him.....
10. If you could buy one object right now, what would it be?
A painting, possibly this one: "Morning of the Red Bird" by Romare Beardon.
11. What’s on your beside table?
Piles and piles of books:
12. If you could have a house totally paid for, and fully furnished, anywhere in the world, where would it be?
13. What would you like to have in your hands right now?
Enough money to set up a trust fund for my special-needs daughter, pay for college for my other three kids, give my mother extra money (because her savings got wiped out in the bank crash), and have some left over to add to our retirement account.
14. What is your favorite children's book?
The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgeson Burnett
15. What is your biggest fear/phobia?
Heights. Absolutely terrified of them, to the point of hysteria and near-incontinence.
16. What's the bravest thing you've done in the past year?
Ride on a ferris wheel with my special-needs daughter.
17. If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
Berkeley, California - I'd have cheap Mexican food at La fiesta, then spend the rest of the time at Moe's books.
18. What did you want to become as a child?
Archaeologist, writer, artist, mom.
19. What posters/pictures do you have on your bedroom wall?
Pictures of everyone in my family. A painting my father bought in Cambodia in 1959.
20. What is your plan for tomorrow?
Try and get my garden in shape, try and get my house in shape, meet the kids when they get home from school. After that, it's all kid care and husband-with-a-broken-foot care.
21. What was your first job?
22. Say something to the person/s who tagged you:
Jason, you're such a wry, funny, understated writer. You have a gift for dialog and dialect. I hope, someday, you write a book.
23.Post a favorite childhood photograph of yourself.
Me caught in imagination land. I'm still doing it, just in different ways.
I'm tagging these people, but ignore the tag if you like.
A Thousand Shades of Twilight
Willy or won't he?
Yellow dog granny
Mean Dirty Pirate
What would Jackie wear?