Thursday, February 1, 2007

In honor of thirteen on thrsday, here are Thirteen things I hate about February in Pittsburgh

1. There are little pissy snow flurries almost every day. Not enough to winter wonderland it all, just enough to ice up your car every morning (I love the sound of frozen windshield wipers as they rip off the glass), and make you shovel your sidewalk every day because if you don't people walk on it and smash it down to wet ice which freezes and then, in the morning you slip on it and die. (I know that was a run-on sentence, but that's how Feb. in Pittsburgh feels -- like it runs on and on and....)

2. A little bit of snow very quickly turns to slush.

3. Slush puddles, which you inevitably step in. Which leads to

4. The feeling of a car-exhaust and dog-pee slurpy (special 7-11 flavor of the month!) as it seeps into your shoe and soaks your sock.

5. Gray sky. I can't emphasize this enough. There are an average of 55 sunny days a year in Pittsburgh. None of them are in winter.

6. Gray sky in combination with gray, slushy ground. Hey at least they match. It's our winter ensemble.

7. Gray sky in combination with gray ground AND gray buildings because they still are covered with the soot/smoke/toxins from the steel industry's hey day. (What is a "hey?")

8. Cold weather. I can't help it. I'm a wuss, a fragile tropical flower.

9. No leaves on the trees. (See above excuse)

10. You never see any of your neighbors and sometimes not even your friends because they're all suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and are too miserable to drag themselves out of the house.

11. Christmas bills. I know, that's no one's fault but my own, but I still hate it.

12. Kirk sneaks around the house doing guerilla assaults on the thermostat; Swoop! he's there and gone without you noticing and all of a sudden you're freezing and you look at the thermostat and it's set at 63.

13. Other people live in places that are sunny and warm(er) and I don't!

No comments: