Friday, January 4, 2008

An brilliant singer and a wonderful night

I am totally, heart-palpitatingly, hyperventilatingly, Beatle-maniacally in love with Rufus Wainwright. I was sitting in the second row and it took all my self control (that, and the large black man strategically placed to prevent stage rushers) not to storm the stage like a crazed teeny bopper and throw myself swooning at his feet. If you EVER get a chance to see him perform, go! He is one of the most passionate singers I've ever seen. He writes his own songs, his voice is amazing - part cabaret chanteuse, part opera diva, part folk singer - and he has a deeply emotional way of playing the piano. The man is drenched in talent. And, girls and boys, he is gorgeous and mind-blowingly sexy. My god! Naturally, he's gay.

Well, as you can probably tell, I had an absolute blast tonight. Live music - in a small enough venue so that you can really see and feel the performer - is magic. No, it's art. And seeing art being created right in front of you; what a privilege and a joy!

Take a moment and watch the video below. It's Rufus, channelling Judy Garland but still making the song his own. He has another song (you can see it on Youtube) called "I want a gay Messiah." I think I've found mine.

13 comments:

sageweb said...

I love Rufus! He also does a fabulous version of Halalujiah. I am pretty sure I did not spell that right.

Elizabeth said...

He sang it last night, with his younger sister singing harmony. Swoon.

Boy About Town said...

I too love Rufus! I got to meet him once! And I read your comment on my blog, your right the more chaos the better!

Elizabeth said...

Boy: I'm so incredibly jealous that you got to meet him!

Paul said...

Rufus is just amazing! An ex of mine introduced me to his music several years ago. Incredible sound!

jason said...

How cool!
I got to see him ages ago....he opened for Tori Amos I believe, and wasn't that well known then.

He's only gotten better with time.

Elizabeth said...

Paul: Oh my goodness, yes. Amazing. His new CD is wonderful - some songs simple and heart grabbing (Going to a town), some Wagnerian and over the top. Which is exactly what I expect from a boy who couldn't decide between opera and rock 'n roll.

Jason: I missed the chance, a few years back, to see him perform in a small club, and I've been kicking myself ever since. But this concert finally made up for that.

Red Seven said...

I saw Rufus at the "True Colors" concert, with Cyndi Lauper providing guest vocals in the chorus of Gay Messiah. She was totally singing to Rufus, about Rufus. It was hella AWESOME.

Elizabeth said...

Red7: Cyndi and I are as one on this - I worship and adore him.

M. Knoester said...

I adore Rufus too. He has such a wonderful, original mind, I love his lyrics, I love the sumptuous layers in his music, or the deceiving simplicity of other songs. I have stood transfixed, watching him accompany himself one-handed during Vibrate. And then that note... heaven.

And I've been fortunate enough to meet him several times, if you can call a quick chat at the stage door or backstage - see photo - meeting someone, and he's a darling. Even when he's tired and doesn't want any hassle he'll make time to see his fans.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I'm jealous that you've met him. I'll have to try to get up the nerve sometime to stand at the stage door myself. Is the photo on your blog? (I'll go over and take a look around.)

M. Knoester said...

Oh, it's my profile picture!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, of course!