Thursday, January 10, 2008

What do you say when you want to say "Thank you" and "I'm sorry" at the same time?

Like so many of us opposed to this war we're in, I struggle with how to express my appreciation for the men and women who are honorably serving our country who are doing their best to bring peace to a region that desperately needs it, despite our leaders poor planning and support of that mission. Being me, with a big mouth (and, I hope, heart), I want to run over to every GI I see, throw my arms around them, and say, "Thank you, be careful, I'm sorry you have to do this, are you OK?" In other words, basically act like an escapee from a psych ward. So I was really happy to find this video called "The Gratitude Campaign." Now I know that, without saying anything, I can still say "Thanks." Thought some of you might like it to.

8 comments:

Miss Janey said...

That's great. Thanks for sharing it.

sageweb said...

That is sweet. I hate that we have to have people over there. It makes me so angry. Now we have even a bigger mess, because of our leaders in the white house. Oh that gets me going. Thanks for the video though. Good Find!

Elizabeth said...

Miss J: My pleasure!

Sageweb: No, let's both not get each other going on the big mess....in the Whitehouse! I just want to find a way to separate those who serve from those who pretend to lead us and them.....

yellowdoggranny said...

i was in the house of satan one day and there was a group of 15-20 gi's in there..stocking up on mcdonalds,and shopping in the store..I wanted to go hug everyone of them and tell them to come home with me, I'd sneak them across the border to canada..

Elizabeth said...

I know. I always want to walk up and hug them.... and they'd think I was totally nuts.

Willym said...

A simple gesture with a powerful message.

D-Man said...

My partner Troy will be deployed to the middle east in a few weeks time (luckily NOT to Iraq or Afghanistan.) We are both vehemently opposed to this war and this inept and destructive administration, as are many other servicemen and women. Although I know that he will be fine, it gives me great solace to know that people like you will wish him well as he leaves all that he loves behind and heads out to points unknown. Thank you.

Elizabeth said...

d-man: I'm so glad it's not Iraq or Afganistan, but still, I'm sure, you worry. I'll think of him whenever I see a serviceman, and make sure I take the time to make a gesture of thanks. Service to your country is good and honorable, even if the motives and methods of the country's leaders may not be.....