Saturday, January 26, 2008

A wonderful night of music

I went to an amazing concert last night. Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, and Shawn Colvin sat on the stage as if they were in their own living room, and played music, listened to music, accompanied and harmonized, joked, teased each other, chatted, put on their reading glasses to check lyrics, and tossed flying monkey stuffed animals around the stage. It was intimate, unscripted, and absolutely enchanting. And, superficial person that I am, here's what I've come away with: Emmylou Harris is the most beautiful woman in the world.
Exhibit A. This is not a retouched publicity photo. The woman's over 60 and this is what she really looks like in person! I rest my case.

All the time that I wasn't being transported by music I spent thinking things like, 'My god! Her hair is amazing. If I had perfectly shining white hair like that I wouldn't dye mine either.' Or 'She has fantastic bones, and how does she stay so slim. Oooh, I'd love to be able to carry off black cowboy boots. I'd just look tacky in a crushed-velvet coat like that, but she looks fabulous.' I'm clearly a very shallow person.

Her singing's not too shabby either! Not a perfect voice, but oh so expressive, full of heartache and depth. Patty Griffin does have a near-perfect voice. She was the main reason I went to the concert, and hearing her sing I knew I was in the presence of an artist at the height of her gifts. it was a privilege. If you don't know her music, go download "Heavenly day" from her new CD or "Mary" and "Top of the World" from her older ones. She's an amazing musician, songwriter, and singer. Buddy Miller was terrific, too, and now I'm going to have to go on itunes, myself, and get some of his music and some of Shawn Colvin's more recent work. Wow, was it a wonderful evening. Oh, and Emmylou Harris is a total babe.

13 comments:

Willym said...

Sounds like an incredible evening. Love EmmyLou, not familar with Patty Griffin but you got me searching for the songs you mentioned.

And for the sounds of it that virus is on its way out???

sageweb said...

Okay I just went to Itunes and got Mary...I love songs with that name (personal touch) They are all great songs. She does have a great voice. Wow..she's not country right?..cause I don't listen to country...hee hee. Oh and about you obsessing about Emmylou...first off it is not shallow to enjoy beauty. It is actually honesty. Funny how some women will walk away and find one thing wrong with her...like they spend the entire time looking at beauty but with a mask of jealousy. I love to see and hear about beauty from people. It is only shallow when you decide nothing but beauty will accompany me till the end of time.
So that woman is hot and honestly I would not have heard and music that night in the presence of a woman like that....so that is not shallow ...it is me..horny maybe???

Elizabeth said...

Willym: It was incredible, and as much as I make fun of myself for being stunned by Emmylou's beauty (which I truly was), I will also carry with me amazing moments of musicianship: Patty Griffin, who is one of the most talented singer/songwriters of all time, making her great big voice small and sad and vulnerable; Buddy Miller playing brilliant accompaniments on his electric guitar; the deep affection and admiration all these great musicians had for each other. It was a joy.

And, yes, I'm finally getting clear of the bug, which is also a joy.

Sageweb: You know, it can be such an ugly world that I value beauty whenever and wherever I see it. And the woman is just over the top in all categories - she's smart, talented, and gorgeous. Being jealous of her would be like being jealous of a star in the sky. You just have to marvel.

jason said...

those cheekbones!

yellowdoggranny said...

yeah, ole emmy lou is just damn near perfect looking and sings like what i think mountain streams sound like..clean as a bell...and griffi is amazing...wish i could have seen them in action...you lucky stiff...

Jason said...

Just wanted to say thank you for your kind words.

D-Man said...

She is certifiably gorgeous. I think women who wear their hair long and gray are beautiful. Women often look at me like I'm crazy when I say that.

Elizabeth said...

Jason #1: Seriously good bones!

Granny: Yes, they're both incredible and I was a lucky stiff! Yay!

d-man: Not crazy, nice. But honestly, a woman who looks like that could shave her hair off entirely and she'd still look gorgeous.

evilganome said...

I have been Emmy Lou's bitch ever since "Pieces of the Sky" came out back in 1975. I've only been able to see her in concert a couple of times, but both were memorable. I can't begin to tell you how envious I am.

JB said...

Ok I am so JEALOUS! That tour is not coming anywhere near me!

Emmylou is the most beautiful person I have ever seen in person. I saw her do a Q & A panel at a music conference last year (hosted by Jonathan Demme!) and I was stunned by her presence. She is an amazing woman with a voice to die for. I once saw Patty open for her and they sang back-up for each other. Their voices together are just delicious. And Buddy is superb. Check out his album with his wife Julie called "Buddy & Julie Miller" from 2001 I think. She is also a gift.

Anonymous said...

GRRR! I am seething with jealousy over up in h'yar. pft.
If Emmylou Harris came out with a skin-care line, the entire beauty industry would fold in on itself.

Elizabeth said...

Jason #2: I meant every word of it. And thanks for writing so honestly and well about your life.

EvilG: Pieces of the Sky was and incredible album (and it was an actual album. Doesn't that date us?) And I guess I'm an official member of Emmylou bitchdom. See ya at the meetings.

jb: It was a very brief tour. We were the second-to-last stop. And she is the most lovely (in all her aspects) human being. The singing and harmonizing was heavenly.

hat: Don't be hatin'. And, yes, it would.

more cowbell said...

So glad you enjoyed it! It looks like I've inherited my grandmother's white hair ... which is fine in your 60s - grandma's was gorgeous - but I'm sorry, when that shit starts coming in at 27 here and there... ARRGH! Maybe it's shallow, but I am just not ready for that. I've barely started my 40s for pete's sake. Anyway, she looks great. Maybe one day I'll embrace the white. Just not now.